Thursday 24 February 2011

Morphy Richards Flavour Savour Slow Cooker



Up until a few months ago, I had never used a slow cooker and I didn't know anything about how they worked. Then I was sent a Crock Pot Slow Cooker to review and fell in with slow cooking. I love the fact that it allows you to prepare a healthy, tasty meal in advance that is ready to eat when you get home after a long day at work, as well as the fact that you can use cheaper cuts of meat that turn out deliciously melt-in-the-mouth tender.

I recently became a "House Proud Friend" on the Morphy Richards website and was offered one of their Flavour Savour slow cookers to try out. It's been great to compare the two different models.

When I was sent the Crock Pot Sauté, they made a big feature out of the fact that the pot can be removed from the cooker part and used directly on the hob or in the oven, so that you can brown your meat off. I was therefore under the impression that it was the only model of slow cooker that had taken this into account, but the Morphy Richards Flavour Savour also has this function. You can brown the meat directly in the cooker (which is very handy) or put the pot on the hob if you really want to. It does take a little while for the pot to heat up on the base, but turn it on before you start chopping your ingredients and it will be ready in time. The high sides of the cooking pan also work as a built-in spatter guard, which is great for keeping the kitchen clean, as well as safer for kids who always want to come and talk to mum while you're cooking dinner ! Both models also have a pot that can be safely washed in the dishwasher - always a bonus !

The cooking pot has a capacity of 4.5 or 6.5 litres depending on the model so it is great for cooking hearty family meals. Morphy Richards have actually started a "£4 Slow Cooker Challenge", inviting you to create a family meal for 4 with your slow cooker (Flavour Savour or other) and post it on their blog. (More details here and my first entry is coming right up !)

What I love is that as well as being a Flavour Savour, it's also a space saver in the kitchen. It's been designed so that the base fits into the pot part with the cord coiled round for easy, compact storage which is a huge plus point - especially as this is an appliance that you'll use more in the colder months than in the summer.

The Flavour Savour has 3 settings and a timer allowing you to cook for anywhere up to 10 hours. It even has a 90 minute stew setting for those times when you haven't got time to slow cook so it's really versatile if you just want a big pot for making chiili or curry, for example. It also has an automatic "keep warm" function and - just in case you get delayed or have a brain like a sieve and forget to turn it off ! - it will automatically turn itself off after 12 hours, which is a safety function I greatly appreciate.

I have to admit, I (quite possibly wrongly) assumed that the Crock Pot was the ultimate slow cooker (purely because it's the name that's been adopted generically) but the Morphy Richards Flavour Savour is a serious contender too. It's hugely versatile, makes great food and looks the business too. I was really pleasantly surprised that it has to be another perfect score !

star rating : 5/5

RRP : £79.99 for the 4.5 litre model, £89.95 for the 6.5 litre model

Other blogposts you may be interested in :

2 comments:

  1. I have a slow cooker, but i like the idea of being able to take the pot off to brown the meat !
    The Morphy Richards £4 Slow Cooker Challenge, is another great idea as alot of people including me are really feeling the pinch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like using my slow cooker, but find I have to use it on a day that I'm out of the house because the food just smells too good and makes me hungry. LOL

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...