Friday 5 August 2011

Tracklements Roasted Cherry Tomato Relish review


When the lovely people at Tracklements asked me if I'd like to try out a jar of their Roasted Cherry Tomato Relish, I said yes without a second's thought. I'm not a huge fan of ketchup because I find it often has an artificial taste but I do like a nice bit of tomato relish on the side of my plate, with steak and chips for example, or mixed in with savoury rice to add a nice sweet and sour touch.

When the jar arrived, it looked appealing - a natural red colour, not one packed with artificial colouring, and some interesting pips and herby leaves were visible through the glass - so I popped it in the fridge, ready to use the next time a suitable occasion arose.

Then the other day, we decided to make homemade hamburgers for lunch. We always try to fill the buns with as many fresh ingredients as possible so I grabbed some salad, tomatoes, cucumber, onions and mushrooms to go with the beefburgers and cheese slices. I always like to put some tomato relish in too to jazz it all up a bit so I grabbed the Tracklements Cherry Tomato Relish out of the fridge.


I was absolutely astounded to see that it is packed full of whole, plump, ripe, juicy cherry tomatoes - so much so, in fact, that I put the fresh tomatoes away because they became redundant. After stacking up the (rather tall) burgers, we all tucked in andeverybody commented on how sweet the tomatoes were, not even noticing at first that they were from the relish and not fresh tomatoes !

The ingredients list contains absolutely nothing artificial : Roasted Tomatoes (51%), Cider Vinegar, Onions, Raw Cane Sugar, Olive Oil, Garlic, Tomato Puree, Fresh Red Chilli, Salt, Coriander, Cumin, Thyme, Pepper.

Tracklements proudly state on their packaging that they have been making traditional accompaniments for food since 1970. I have only one gripe - the label says that it is from the seasonal range so I assume this isn't available all year round, which is a crying shame. Although the best before date is April 2013 so stocking up the cupboard for all year won't be a problem !

The only thing to know is that you will get through a lot more than with normal relish, partly because it tastes so utterly fabulous that everybody will keep helping themselves to another spoonful, but also because the whole roasted cherry tomatoes are relatively big so each serving takes a lot out of the jar. After preparing four burger buns as above, for example, half of the jar was gone.

It's the perfect blend of sweetness and sharpness and that, added to the juiciness of the whole tomatoes, is a mind-blowing combination. If you like to make up your own Christmas hampers, this would be an absolutely ideal product.

star rating : 5/5

RRP : £2.85 for 220g


Other reviews you may be interested in :

5 comments:

  1. Yum! I think I will definitely try, I love tomato products, and this one got a 5/5!

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks lovely with the big bits of tomatoes through it - yum yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This does look like one to try being a vegetarian and loving tomatoes and natural ingredients this looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks gorgeous - I LOVE roasted tomatoes, so I imagine the flavour must be delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks right down my partner's street! He baked a roasted cherry tomato bread on Sat and this would have been fab with it :)

    @hannahmdy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...