Sunday 16 June 2013

Higgidy Balsamic Onion and Mature Cheddar Quiche review


As you may have seen last week, when I posted my recipe for Cheesy Leek, Bacon and Mushroom Quiche, I can knock up a pretty decent quiche, if I say so myself. (Luckily, the other members of the Madhouse Family agree with me !) I usually find that supermarket bought quiches are pale, bland and rather uninspiring in comparison, but I'd heard a lot of good things about Higgidy, so when they offered to send through some vouchers for us to try out their Balsamic Onion and Mature Cheddar Quiche, I was keen to see what we'd think.

It's a limited edition recipe that has made a comeback for the summer so don't hang about too long if you want to give it a try. Higgidy explain :  "This summer favourite is made with all-butter seeded shortcrust pastry, free range egg custard, mature cheddar, balsamic onion chutney and a crispy onion and cheddar crumb, lovingly mixing the traditional flavours of a ploughman’s lunch with the company’s customary kitchen creativity."

Before I even got close to tasting it, my initial reaction was positive - I thought it looked homemade when I took it out of the box. (Sorry for the lack of photos - the battery in my camera needed charging !) It can be eaten hot or cold, but I decided to warm it up in the oven to help really bring out the flavours. It smelt wonderful in the kitchen and everyone started hovering in the vicinity without me calling them to the table, which is always a good sign ! We weren't disappointed - it has a lovely rounded, deep flavour and the ingredients really complement each other. The pastry is thin and crispy (not the usual stodgy supermarket offering) and the crumb topping gives it a nice crunchy texture. The sweet tanginess of the onions blends beautifully with the mature cheddar - well, by now, I think you've understood that we were very impressed.

I planned on trying the leftovers cold the next day but sadly, there weren't any ! As National Picnic Week kicks off next week - you may remember the picnic recipes I posted last week - this would be a great picnic food to stock up on. In honour of the occasion, a little bird told me that they will be giving away  2,000 little picnic bags on their website starting on 17th June (that's tomorrow) so make sure you head on over to www.higgidy.co.uk to see if you can grab one.

star rating : 5/5

RRP : £3.79 for 400g

for more information : www.higgidy.co.uk

Disclosure : I received some vouchers to buy the product, in order to write an honest review.

Other blogposts you may be interested in :

Amoy Special Selection winning recipe : Yasai Katsu Curry

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...