Friday 28 March 2014

Globe-cooking recipe (Peru) : Mazamorra Morada with Rice Pudding and Maca


Having already tried Carapulcra, Sweet Potato & Halibut Ceviche and Aji de Gallina (Peruvian Spicy Creamed Chicken), our foray into Peruvian cuisine is drawing to an end. I must admit, it was with some degree of trepidation that I pulled the box of Mazamorra Morada out of the cupboard earlier in the week to try out the final recipe ! After receiving it in my Peruvian-themed Kitchen Trotter box, I discovered that it's made from purple sweetcorn and I had absolutely no idea what to expect.


Inside the box are two sachets, containing a purple powder which smells strangely of bubble gum !


You need to mix this up with water until it dissolves.


Then quickly heat it in a saucepan where it goes thick and gloopy like runny jelly or jam. I added some chopped pineapple to this mixture and left it to go cool.


The Kitchen Trotter recipe card suggested serving this with rice pudding and maca, another ingredient from the box.


I soaked 250g pudding rice in water for 20 minutes then boiled 75cl of milk, threw in the rice and cooked it for 20 minutes, before mixing in some cinnamon and brown sugar. It wasn't until I was serving that I realised I'd forgotten to sprinkle over the maca - oh well, that will be for next time !


I served the rice pudding on top of the Mazamorra Morada, topped with a chunk of pineapple from the pot.

The kids loved it. The texture of the Mazamorra Morada reminded them of jelly (although it stays liquid) and the flavour was slightly strange but not at all unpleasant - they thought it tasted of sweets. We decided that it would be just as nice without the rice pudding, making it a really quick dessert to throw together in minutes, especially if you use tinned pineapple.

I still have some leftover ingredients from the box so I may go googling for some extra Peruvian recipes to try out. I'm also eagerly awaiting my next Kitchen Trotter box to see which country we will be discovering next month.


Linking up with the Peru roundup on Chef Mireille's East West Realm

Other blogposts you may be interested in :

Globe-cooking recipe (France) : Beer-doused ham hock

2 comments:

  1. never seen something like that before but it looks really good

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since I am lucky enough to get the actual blue corn to make the mazamorra, never before tried it with the powder but I am glad you liked it. Yes it is often served parfait style with arroz con leche (Latin American rice pudding)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...