Thursday 6 March 2014

Madhouse recipe : Spanish Chicken Calzone

Today I decided to have a go at making Calzone, which the kids quickly renamed "inside-out pizzas" ! They weren't convinced by my description and decided to make regular pizzas instead, but I was really pleased with the results and even the kids agreed that they looked nice.



Spanish Chicken Calzone


ingredients  (serves 4) :

250g flour
1 sachet instant yeast
1/2tsp salt
2tsp Garlic Italian seasoning
leftover cooked chicken (or 2 chicken breasts)
100g chorizo
1 onion
1 small tin sweetcorn
4 mushrooms
1/2 red pepper
1/2 tin chopped tomatoes
1tbsp tomato puree


Mix the flour with the yeast and salt. Make a well in the middle and add enough water (about 150ml) for it to come together into a sticky dough. I decided to make a herby crust and mixed in some Garlic Italian herbs which worked really well.


Roll into a ball and leave to rise slightly for 1/2 hour.



While that's happening, make up the filling. I had some cooked chicken to use up, which I reheated in a pan with chorizo, onions, mushrooms, red pepper and sweetcorn. Add enough tomatoes/tomato puree for it to be moist but not too wet - you don't want it all to splurge out !



Preheat the oven or grill and put your baking sheets in to warm. Roll the dough into a rough cylinder then chop into the required number of pieces for the pizzas. Roll them out thinly on a floured surface and transfer them to the baking sheets.. 


Don't worry if they're not perfectly round - that's half of the charm of homemade pizzas !


 Pierre was delighted when he managed, completely by accident, to roll his pizza base into a heart-shape !


While the kids selected their toppings and created their masterpieces, I spooned some of the chicken mixture onto half of the remaining pizza bases then folded over the other half and sealed them shut by crimping the edges, just like making a pasty. Cheeseless pizzas didn't seem right so I sprinkled a little grated cheese on top before popping them in the oven.


 The kids' open pizzas were ready a bit before ours.


But ours were definitely worth the wait.


Happy faces all round !

Link up your recipe of the week

Other blogposts you may be interested in :

Madhouse recipe : Slow Cooker Beef in Ale

6 comments:

  1. Looks great! Well done you for making the dough from scratch too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not good with dough, but these look lovely

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet all my kids would adore this one

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love any food that had Spanish flavours, this sounds lovely!#RecipeoftheWeek

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds good - I will have to give it a try

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks lovely - really delicious and I'm sure my kids would enjoy helping make it. Thanks so much for linking up with #recipeoftheweek. I've pinned and tweeted this post and hope to see you linking up again soon! :D x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...