Wednesday 26 March 2014

Tilda Humara Khichdi review


You may remember last month, I mentioned that I was delighted to win a fabulous Le Creuset saucepan and an equally fabulous selection of Tilda products with my recipe for Spicy Prawns with Chorizo and Feta which will now be featured in the Tilda's Mums Helping Mums Cookbook. How cool is that ?!


I often use microwavable pouches of rice when we need something on the table quick but I discovered some products in the prize pack that I'd never seen before and that sounded really interesting. The first was this Tilda Humara Khichdi which is a blend of wholegrain basmati and mung dal lentils. I'd never heard of Khichdi so I went to investigate - it is a South East Asian dish popular in Bangladesh, India, Pakistan and Nepal which was the inspiration for the Anglo-Indian dish kedgeree. There are apparently numerous variations, with different spices or extra ingredients (vegetables such as cauliflower, potato and green peas are commonly added and another version is made with prawns).


The Tilda version is ultra quick and convenient to prepare - it just needs 2 minutes in the microwave and it's ready. We served ours with the leftover chicken and gravy from the Sunday roast. I thought it could have done with a bit more of a kick (I'll add some chilli flakes or maybe some garam masala next time) but it made a nice change to plain rice.

I'm keen to discover the rest of the Tilda Humara range, especially since discovering that it has been made with healthy eating in mind. The three recipes - Khichdi, Mushroom Hakka and Hyderbadhi Masala - are all made using wholegrain basmati and none of them is more than 170 calories a portion. The range is also gluten free, suitable for vegetarians and free from any artificial colours, flavours or preservatives.

star rating : 4/5

RRP : £1.59 for 240g


Other blogposts you may be interested in :

Dhruv’s Perfect Chicken Curry recipe

4 comments:

  1. Pam Francis Gregory26 March 2014 at 21:24

    Always looking for alternatives to plain rice - Looks OK

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like home cooked rice but I agree, when I am in a rush to get something on the table quickly these pouches are fantastic. I used to buy these and eat them for lunch at work. I likes the Mexican one !! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks fantastic, pouches are always good when your in a rush!

    ReplyDelete
  4. microwave rice is such a saviour, it tastes just as good as normal rice.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...