Monday 19 January 2015

Globe-cooking recipe : Butternut Squash with Marshmallows (Canada)


One of the recipes that looked very strange to me in my Canadian-themed Kitchen Trotter box was Butternut Squash with Marshmallows. Erm, OK ... I know you can put a bit of chocolate in chilli but marshmallows with vegetables? Really ? Well, funnily enough, I saw someone else mentioning this on their blog the other day in a totally unrelated story (I think it was Pippa on A Mother's Ramblings), so this filled me with a bit more confidence !


After cutting the butternut squash in half and scooping out the seeds, I put it in an ovenproof dish with a little water and put it in the bottom of the oven while I cooked the Sunday roast. After about an hour/90 minutes, I took it out, drained off the water, scooped the flesh out of the skin then mashed it, with a little butter, salt and cinnamon. So far so good !


OK, time to scatter over the mini marshmallows and stick it back in the oven on high for a few minutes.


I got sidetracked by carving the chicken and making the gravy so my marshmallows got a bit scorched but I saved them just in time ! (They stay on the surface so I could actually have scraped them off and started again but the kids said they'd be OK because they look like that when you toast them anyway !)  To my surprise, it does work - the resulting dish is very sweet, almost like a pumpkin pie filling, but this would be a great way of getting fussy kids to tuck into vegetables with a smile on their face !

*** Don't miss my country-by-country globecooking recipe index ! *** 

2 comments:

  1. I generally don't like a mix of sweet and savoury but the boys love marshmallows so may be worth a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As weird as deep fried Mars Bars! But a good way to get kids to eat butternut squash!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...